On this page you will find a regularly updated list of forthcoming Presentations & Publications and links/embeds of previous appearances.
Upcoming Presentations & Publications (and related projects)
- Summer 2016 – Managing your Digital Footprint MOOC. Follow us on Twitter or sign up to our mailing list to hear more…
- September 2016 – Sept. 2017 – Co-investigator on the PTAS-funded “A Live Pulse”: YikYak for understanding teaching, learning and assessment at Edinburgh project.
- 23rd January 2017 – “Social media and blogging to develop and communicate research in the arts and humanities” – invited presentation for Academic Publishing: Routes to Success, University of Stirling. Accompanying resources: Action Plan (PDF) and Blogging Schedule (PDF).
- July 2017 – Co-Chairing (with Stefania Manca) the “Social Media in Education” Mini Track at the European Conference on Social Media 2017 (#ECSM2017). Submissions are now open so do send in your proposals!
Recent Presentations & Publications
- 19th January 2017 – “Enhancing your research impact through social media” – session at the Edinburgh Postgraduate Law Conference 2017: “Law & its boundaries”. See also associated Action Plan and Content Schedule resources.
- 11th January 2017 – Social Media in Marketing and in Support of Your Personal Brand – invited seminar for 4th Year Marketing Students at Abertay University. Associated Handout.
- 11th January 2017 – Best Practices for Social Media in Teaching & Learning Contexts (#AbTLEJan2017) – invited presentation for staff at Abertay University.
- 6th December 2016 – “Collecting and Coding Qualitative Social Media Data with Dedoose” training session for the University of Edinburgh College of Arts Humanities & Social Sciences Digital Scholarship community.
- 27th November 2016 – “Untangling a COBWEB: What’s it like to turn research into comics” talk for the Edinburgh Comic Art Festival, Summerhall, Edinburgh.
- 17th November 2016 – “Capturing Impact from Social Media” Learning Lunch for University of Edinburgh College of Arts Humanities & Social Sciences knowledge exchange colleagues. Slides and resources can be found at: http://bit.ly/ImpactSocMed, audio recording and further links here.
- 16th November 2016 – “What do your digital footprints say about you?”, short invited talk at TEDxYouth@Manchester 2016: Identity. View the video here, or embedded below:
- 1st November 2016 – publication of Crowd Power: the COBWEB Guide to Citizen Science comic book [digital edition] by Sha Nazir and Kirsty Hunter, with Clare Forrest, Kirk Kristofferson, Jack Lothian (ed.) and Nicola Osborne (ed.). Available from: https://cobwebproject.eu/news/promotional-materials. Print edition will be published soon.
- 27th October 2016 – “Pitching, personality and (ethical) promotion“, guest lecture around communicating ideas and social media for the Professional Issues module for third year computer science and software engineering students, UoE School of Infomatics.
- 7th September 2016 – “Promoting your work online with social media and more” Workshop for the Royal Statistical Society (RSS) 2016 International Conference. Materials from this session: handout – with worksheets and resources (PDF); slides (PDF).
- 29th August 2016 – “Interview: Nicola Osborne – If I Googled you, what would I find?” – interview broadcast on Fresh Air Radio/Fresh Fringe, published 31st August 2016.
- 21st August 2016 – “If I Googled you, what would I find?“, part of the Cabaret of Dangerous Ideas (#codi2016) at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Tickets now available through The Stand or Fringe box offices.
- 17th July 2016 – Co-organising and co-running, with Jennifer Jones, a Social Media Webinar for the British HIV Association (BHIVA), also including participants from the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV.
- 12th-13th July 2016 – “Students’ Digital Footprints: curation of online presences, privacy and peer support” – joint paper with Louise Connelly (University of Edinburgh) at the 3rd European Conference on Social Media – ECSM 2016; Poster (co-authored with Louise Connelly): The Digital Footprint MOOC (#dfmooc): A Research-Informed Open Course on Best Practice Management of Online Tracks and Traces.
- 29th June 2016 – Chairing the “Crowd-Sourcing Data and Citizen Science” Breakout Session at the Flooding and Coastal Erosion Risk Management Network (FCERM.NET) annual assembly 2016, held in Newcastle. View the slides for my associated presentation here: “What is Crowdsourcing?“.
- 9th June 2016 – “Engaging with the Real World” workshop for the Scottish Graduate School of Social Science Summer School 2016. Associated resources include: Understanding Your Priorities worksheet; Capturing Content & Resources worksheet; Useful Resources and Check List worksheet. Slides to follow soon.
- 27th April 2016 – “Making an Impact with Your Blog” session for Culture Republic, Dovecot Studios, Edinburgh.
More Presentations and Publications
- Archive: Presentations & Publications in 2016
- Archive: Presentations & Publications in 2015
- Archive: Presentations & Publications in 2014
- Archive: Presentations & Publications in 2013
- Archive: Presentations & Publications in 2012
- Archive: Presentations & Publications in 2011
- Archive: Presentations & Publications in 2010
- Archive: Presentations & Publications in 2009